On November 6 (in Missoula) and November 20 (in Billings) Western Montana Addiction Services will be sponsoring a day-long workshop for professionals. The title of both workshops is the same: Working with Challenging Parents and Youth . . . and Loving it. Here’s a description of the workshop, along with workshop objectives:
Working with Challenging Parents and Youth . . . and Loving It.
Counseling difficult youth and challenging parents can be immensely frustrating or splendidly gratifying. Using storytelling, video clips, live demonstrations, group discussion, and skill-building break-out sessions, John Sommers-Flanagan will present essential evidence-based principles and over ten specific techniques for influencing “tough students” and “challenging parents.” Techniques for working with youth and parents will include (a) concession, (b) asset flooding, (c) cognitive storytelling, (d) generating behavioral alternatives, (e) grandma’s rule, and many more. Issues related to ethics, addictions, and culture will be highlighted and discussed throughout the workshop.
1. Understand the nature of resistance as often displayed by youth and parents
2. Identify and apply techniques for responding quickly and effectively when youth and parents resist counseling
3. Acquire skills for using numerous cognitive, emotionally, and constructive engagement and intervention strategies that facilitate youth interest in, and motivation for, counseling—even in situations when clients are using substances
4. Learn four specific parenting techniques that participants can immediately use to help parents respond more effectively to their children’s problems or challenges.
5. Increase awareness and articulation of important multicultural counseling issues with youth and parents
6. Understand how substance-related problems can directly contribute to client resistance and impede engagement with youth and parents
The link for registering through Western Montana Addiction Services for either workshop is here: http://www.westernmontanaaddictionservices.org/store/p2/Working_with_Challenging_Parents_and_Youth…_and_Loving_It.html
If you can make either workshop I will look forward to meeting or seeing you. If you think it’s a topic that would be useful for someone you know, feel free to pass this information on.
And have a great rest of the week.